Are you ready to embark on the exciting journey of buying a new construction home in Houston, Texas?
New construction homes in Houston offer a variety of benefits, including energy efficiency, lower maintenance, and warranties -and with its vibrant culture, thriving job market, abundance of family-friendly activities, and affordable cost of living, Houston is a great place to buy a new home.
While buying a new construction home can be an exciting and rewarding experience, it can also be quite daunting – but with the right knowledge and a little preparation, you can make the home buying process far less stressful and find the perfect home for your needs.
In this comprehensive guide, we will walk you through the 7 essential steps to make your dream of owning a new construction home a reality. From deciding on the location to finding the right builder and finalizing your mortgage, we’ve got you covered.
7 Steps to Buying a New Construction Home in Houston Texas
- Step 1: Decide Where in the Houston Area You’d Like to Live
- Step 2: Choose The Type of New Home You Want to Live In
- Step 3: Choose Which Type of Community is Right for You
- Step 4: Consider Whether to Build Your New Home or Move In Now
- Step 5: Finding the Right Houston Home Builder
- Step 6: Prepare Your Finances and Finalize Your Mortgage
- Step 7: Get Ready for Your New Home in Houston
Step 1: Decide Where in the Houston Area You’d Like to Live
The Greater Houston Area offers a diverse range of new construction housing options in communities with great career and educational opportunities, centralized locations, and plenty of parks and attractions to explore. Whether you’re looking for a single-family home, townhouse, or condo, you’re sure to find the perfect new home for you and your family in the Houston area.
In addition to its many lifestyle benefits, new homes in Houston offer homebuyers a great number of other advantages, including:
- Tax advantages: Texas has no income tax, which can save you thousands of dollars each year. First-time homebuyers are also eligible for a tax credit of up to $10,000.
- Strong economy: Houston is home to a variety of Fortune 500 companies and is a major hub for the energy and healthcare industries, making it a great place to live and work. This means that there are plenty of job opportunities and a growing population, which can drive up home values over time.
- Excellent schools: The Greater Houston Area has a well-regarded public school system. This is important for families with young children or who are planning to start a family in the future.
- Proximity to major cities: Houston is located within a short drive of other major cities like Austin, Dallas, and San Antonio. This makes it easy to travel to other parts of Texas or to other states in the region.
- Diverse range of communities: The Greater Houston Area is made up of a variety of cities and neighborhoods, each with its own unique character. This means that you can find the perfect community to fit your needs, whether you’re looking for a suburban lifestyle or a more urban environment.
Which city or neighborhood is right for you?
The Greater Houston Area is made up of a variety of cities and neighborhoods, each with its own unique character. This means that you can find the perfect community to fit your needs, whether you’re looking for a suburban lifestyle or a more urban environment.
To find the best fit for your needs, start by narrowing down your choices based on the factors that are most important to you.
Here are a few things to consider:
- Commute: Consider how long you’re willing to commute to work or school. Some Houston neighborhoods are more centrally located than others, making it easier to get around.
- Budget: New construction homes can vary in price depending on the neighborhood, size of the home, and features. Be sure to set a budget before you start shopping so that you don’t overspend.
- Schools: If you have children or plan to have children in the future, consider the quality of the schools in the neighborhoods you’re considering.
- Lifestyle: Do you want to live in a walkable neighborhood with lots of restaurants and shops? Or do you prefer a more suburban setting with more space? Consider your lifestyle preferences when choosing a neighborhood.
For example, families looking for a safe and family-friendly neighborhood with good schools may want to consider League City. Young professionals or commuters seeking an urban lifestyle might want to consider Mont Belvieu or Downtown Baytown. Retirees seeking an active lifestyle might want to consider Montgomery.
But no matter your needs, from bustling cityscapes to serene suburbs, the Houston area has something for everyone. And with so many neighborhoods and new construction homes to choose from, you’re sure to find the perfect fit for your lifestyle in a place you’ll love.
Can’t wait? Start your new life in Houston today! Browse our selection of New Homes for Sale in Houston and find the perfect new home to start your new adventure.
Houston, TX: A Vibrant City with Something for Everyone
As the largest city in Texas, Houston offers a vibrant urban lifestyle with a wide range of amenities, cultural attractions, and employment opportunities. With a strong economy and a variety of industries, including healthcare, energy, and aerospace, Houston provides ample opportunities for career growth and stability. The city also has a relatively low cost of living compared to other major metropolitan areas, allowing residents to enjoy a high quality of life without breaking the bank.
From downtown high-rises to historic neighborhoods, Houston has something for everyone. The city is home to a world-class dining scene, with restaurants serving everything from Tex-Mex to barbecue to international cuisine. Houston also has a variety of cultural attractions, including museums, art galleries, and theaters. And for those who enjoy spending time outdoors, Houston has a number of parks, trails, and lakes to explore.
- Amenities: Houston is home to a variety of amenities, including world-class museums, professional sports teams, and performing arts venues. The city also has a number of parks and recreation areas, as well as a vibrant nightlife scene.
- Cultural attractions: Houston is a diverse city with a rich cultural heritage. The city is home to a number of museums, art galleries, and theaters that showcase the work of local, national, and international artists. Houston also hosts a variety of festivals and events throughout the year.
- Employment opportunities: Houston is home to a variety of industries, including healthcare, energy, aerospace, and manufacturing. The city is also a major hub for the oil and gas industry. Houston’s strong economy provides ample opportunities for career growth and stability.
Overall, Houston offers a unique blend of opportunities and experiences that make it a great place to live. Whether you’re looking for a fast-paced urban lifestyle or a more relaxed suburban vibe, Houston has something to offer everyone.
Thinking of Houston, TX? Come see our full selection of new construction homes in Houston or contact us today to learn more about new K. Hovnanian homes for sale in Houston, Texas.
Mont Belvieu, TX: Small Town Charm with Big City Amenities
Located east of Houston, Mont Belvieu is a rapidly-growing suburb known for its small-town charm and family-friendly atmosphere. The city boasts a strong sense of community, with friendly and welcoming residents who are always ready to lend a helping hand. Other benefits include excellent schools, parks, recreational facilities, and a low crime rate, making it an ideal choice if you’re seeking a tranquil suburban lifestyle.
But Mont Belvieu is anything but dull, offering a range of amenities that include shopping centers, restaurants, and entertainment options. Its convenient location near major highways also makes it a breeze to access other cities in the region. Whether you are starting a family or looking for a peaceful place to retire, Mont Belvieu offers something for everyone.
A few things that make Mont Belvieu a great place to live:
- Strong sense of community: Mont Belvieu residents are known for their friendliness and welcoming nature. The city hosts a number of community events throughout the year, such as the annual Crawfish Festival and the Christmas Parade.
- Excellent schools: Served by the highly-rated Barbers Hill Independent School District, the district offers a variety of academic programs, as well as extracurricular activities such as sports, clubs, and the arts.
- Range of amenities: Including shopping centers, restaurants, and entertainment options. The city also has a community center that offers a variety of programs and activities for all ages.
- Parks and recreation: Mont Belvieu has a number of parks and recreation facilities, including Barbers Hill Park, which features a playground, splash pad, and walking trails.
- Low crime rate: Mont Belvieu has a low crime rate compared to other cities in the region. This is due in part to the strong community spirit and the city’s proactive approach to public safety.
- Convenient location: Conveniently located near major highways, making it easy to access other cities in the region, including Houston, Baytown, and Galveston.
Mont Belvieu, is a great place to live, work, and raise a family. It offers a tranquil suburban lifestyle with a variety of amenities and a convenient location. If you are looking for a small town with big city amenities, Mont Belvieu is the perfect place for you.
Interested Mont Belvieu, TX? Check out our selection of new homes in Mont Belvieu or contact us today to learn more about new K. Hovnanian homes for sale in Mont Belvieu, Texas.
League City, TX: Coastal Living with Suburban Amenities
Nestled along the Gulf Coast, League City combines coastal living with suburban amenities. With a strong sense of community, top-rated schools, and proximity to the water, League City offers a relaxed and scenic environment, paired with friendly residents and an abundance of local events. Boasting excellent schools and easy access to Houston, League City is an ideal place for families to settle down and still enjoy big-city amenities.
A few things that make League City a great place to live:
- Coastal living: Located on the shores of Galveston Bay, League City offers residents access to a variety of water sports and activities, including several marinas and boat launches.
- Suburban amenities: League City has a variety of suburban amenities, including shopping centers, restaurants, and entertainment options as well as a number of parks and recreation facilities.
- Strong sense of community: League City residents are known for their friendliness and welcoming nature. The city hosts a variety of community events throughout the year, such as the annual Festival of Lights and the League City Farmers Market.
- Top-rated schools: League City is served by the highly-rated Clear Creek Independent School District. The district offers a variety of academic programs, as well as extracurricular activities such as sports, clubs, and the arts.
- Proximity to Houston: League City is located just south of Houston, making it easy for residents to commute to work or access the city’s many amenities.
If you are looking for a place to live that offers the best of both worlds, coastal living and suburban amenities, League City is the perfect place for you.
Thinking about League City, TX? Check out our selection of new homes in League City or contact us today to learn more about new K. Hovnanian homes for sale in League City, Texas.
Baytown, TX: A Thriving Industrial City with a Diverse Range of Housing Options and a Top-Notch Education System
Situated on the eastern outskirts of Houston, Baytown is a thriving industrial city with a rich history. It offers a diverse range of housing options, from waterfront properties to suburban neighborhoods to historic homes and modern apartments, making it an attractive choice for homebuyers.
Baytown’s thriving job market, in industries including oil refining, petrochemicals, and manufacturing, offers residents an array of professional opportunities. The cost of living in Baytown is also relatively low compared to other cities in Texas.
Baytown is known for its top-notch education system, with renowned colleges and universities in the vicinity, such as Lee College and the University of Houston-Clear Lake. The city also offers a plethora of recreational activities, including parks, golf courses, and water sports, ensuring that residents can enjoy an active and fulfilling lifestyle.
Here are some of the things that make Baytown a great place to live:
- Diverse housing options: Baytown offers a wide range of housing options to suit every budget and lifestyle. Whether you’re looking for a waterfront property, a suburban home, or a historic apartment, you’re sure to find something to your liking.
- Thriving job market: Baytown’s economy is booming, with a variety of industries including oil refining, petrochemicals, and manufacturing. This means that there are plenty of job opportunities for residents of all skill levels.
- Low cost of living: The cost of living in Baytown is relatively low compared to other cities in Texas. This makes it a great place to live for families and individuals on a budget.
- Top-notch education system: Baytown is served by a highly-rated school district and is home to several renowned colleges and universities. This makes it a great place to raise a family and pursue educational opportunities.
- Plenty of recreational activities: Baytown offers a variety of recreational activities for residents of all ages. There are parks, golf courses, water sports, and more.
If you are looking for a thriving industrial city with a diverse range of housing options, a low cost of living, and a top-notch education system, Baytown is the perfect place for you.
Looking to move to Baytown, TX? Check out our selection of new homes in Baytown or contact us today to learn more about our new K. Hovnanian homes in Baytown, Texas.
Dayton, TX: A Peaceful and Rural Town with a Close-Knit Community
Located northeast of Houston, Dayton, TX is a small town with a close-knit community. It offers a peaceful and rural setting while still being within commuting distance of Houston’s amenities and job opportunities.
Dayton is a great place to live for those who are looking for a sense of belonging and a low cost of living. The town has a diverse housing market, with options to suit every budget and lifestyle.
Dayton is also conveniently located near major cities such as Houston and Beaumont, providing easy access to employment opportunities and cultural amenities.
Here are some of the things that make Dayton a great place to live:
- Close-knit community: Dayton is a small town with a big sense of community. Residents are friendly and welcoming, and there are always opportunities to get involved in local events and activities.
- Peaceful and rural setting: Dayton is located in a rural area, with plenty of open space and fresh air. There are also a number of parks and recreation facilities in town.
- Commuting distance to Houston: Dayton is located just a short drive from Houston, making it a great option for commuters.
- Diverse housing market: Dayton has a diverse housing market, with options to suit every budget and lifestyle.
- Low cost of living: The cost of living in Dayton is relatively low compared to other cities in Texas.
If you are looking for a peaceful and rural town with a close-knit community, Dayton is the perfect place for you.
Considering a move to Dayton, TX? Check out our selection of new homes in Dayton or contact us today to learn more about our new K. Hovnanian homes in Dayton, Texas.
Waller, TX: Rural Charm with Suburban Amenities
For those seeking a more rural lifestyle, Waller, TX provides a tranquil escape from the city. With its open spaces, equestrian facilities, and friendly neighbors, Waller is a popular choice for those looking for a slower pace of life.
Whether you’re raising a family, planning for retirement, or just want a break from city life, Waller has something to offer everyone.
The town boasts excellent schools, recreational facilities, and numerous outdoor activities. Residents can enjoy fishing, hiking, biking, and horseback riding in the many parks and trails in the area.
Waller is also home to a number of historical sites, including the Waller County Courthouse and the Waller Railroad Museum.
Despite its rural setting, Waller is still within commuting distance of Houston and other major cities in the area. This makes it a great option for those who want the best of both worlds: a rural lifestyle with easy access to urban amenities.
Here are some of the things that make Waller a great place to live:
- Rural charm: Waller offers a peaceful and serene environment, with plenty of opportunities to enjoy the outdoors.
- Equestrian facilities: Waller is a popular destination for horse lovers, with a number of equestrian facilities located throughout the town.
- Friendly neighbors: Waller is known for its friendly and welcoming community.
- Excellent schools: Waller is served by the highly-rated Waller Independent School District.
- Recreational facilities: Waller has a number of parks and trails, as well as a community center that offers a variety of programs and activities for all ages.
- Easy access to Houston: Waller is located just a short drive from Houston, making it easy for residents to commute to work or access the city’s many amenities.
Whether you’re seeking a peaceful and serene environment or easy access to urban amenities, Waller, TX is a wonderful place to call home.
Looking for homes in Waller, TX? Check out our selection of new homes in Waller or contact us today to learn more about our new K. Hovnanian homes in Waller, Texas.
Montgomery, TX: Picturesque Lakeside Living
Nestled on the shores of Lake Conroe, Montgomery offers a picturesque setting with access to water activities, golf courses, and charming downtown shops. It’s a great option for those seeking a lakeside retreat with a peaceful and serene environment.
Montgomery is a popular destination for boaters, anglers, and swimmers. The city also has a number of golf courses, making it a great place for golf enthusiasts.
With its beautiful landscapes, welcoming community, and top-notch schools, it’s no wonder why Montgomery, TX is a go-to destination for families, retirees, and those looking for a slower pace of life.
Here are some of the things that make Montgomery, TX a great place to live:
- Lakeside setting: Montgomery is located on the shores of Lake Conroe, a 21,000-acre lake that offers residents access to a variety of water activities, including boating, fishing, swimming, and waterskiing.
- Golf courses: Montgomery is home to several championship golf courses, making it a great place for golf enthusiasts to live.
- Charming downtown: Montgomery has a charming downtown area with a variety of shops, restaurants, and coffee shops.
- Peaceful and serene environment: Montgomery offers a peaceful and serene environment, with plenty of opportunities to enjoy the outdoors.
- Welcoming community: Montgomery is known for its friendly and welcoming community.
- Top-notch schools: Montgomery, TX is served by the highly-rated Montgomery Independent School District.
Whether you’re looking for a lakeside retreat, a place to raise a family, or a community with small town charm, Montgomery, TX has something to offer everyone.
Thinking about Montgomery, TX? Check out our selection of new homes in Montgomery or contact us today to learn more about our new K. Hovnanian homes in Montgomery, Texas.
Step 2: Choose The Type of New Home You Want to Live In
Some benefits of homeownership apply no matter what kind of home you live in – you’ll be living in a space that you have freedom to personalize as you wish, and you’ll be building equity over time by owning rather than renting.
But there are also key differences between different kinds of homes, which are important to consider.
Let’s look at some common options for new construction homes in Houston.
When you picture a generic home, you probably picture a single-family home. A detached structure meant for one family unit (whatever family means to you), a single-family home is a great choice for anyone prioritizing privacy and space – whether that means more bedrooms, a backyard, or simply plenty of room to stretch out.
While you may still have next-door neighbors, you won’t share an interior wall with anyone, and will have a certain amount of outdoor space to yourself. You’ll also have the opportunity for renovation and expansion – though you’ll also be responsible for repairs and maintenance.
While single-family homes can cost more than some alternatives, they can also be a savvy financial investment.
Some of the benefits of living in a single-family home in Houston include:
- Privacy: Single-family homes offer more privacy than other types of homes, such as townhomes or apartments.
- Space: Single-family homes typically have more space than other types of homes. This can be a great advantage for families or people who enjoy having a lot of space to spread out.
- Customization: Single-family homes can be customized to your liking. You can choose the layout, finishes, and features that you want.
- Investment potential: Single-family homes can be a wise financial investment. Over time, the value of your home may appreciate, which can build equity.
If you’d like something halfway between a house and an apartment, a townhome could be for you. These multi-level structures have at least two floors and are attached to other living units by one or both walls.
If you enjoy the sense of community that can come from being close to your neighbors, shared amenities like a community pool or park, and a living environment that’s somewhere between urban and suburban, townhomes could be an ideal (and affordable) alternative to a detached home.
They’re equally suited to first-time homebuyers who’ve outgrown apartment living and older homeowners who might be looking to downsize.
Some of the benefits of living in a townhome in Houston include:
- Privacy: Townhomes offer more privacy than apartments, but not as much privacy as single-family homes.
- Space: Townhomes typically have less space than single-family homes, but more space than apartments.
- Maintenance: Townhomes typically require less maintenance than single-family homes, as the homeowners association is responsible for some of the maintenance.
- Affordability: Townhomes are typically more affordable than single-family homes.
Multi-Generational / Extra Suites
As multigenerational living is on the rise, consider homes with design features like our signature Extra Suite Plus option – a self-contained living space within a larger home that’s somewhere between a guest room and a guest house.
More than just a bedroom, our Extra Suite and Extra Suite Plus designs can include features like private entrances, baths, living areas, and kitchenettes. They’re perfect for families with grandparents, adult children who haven’t completely left the nest, or long-term guests.
Some of the benefits of living in a multi-generational home or home with an extra suite in Houston include:
- Space: Multi-generational homes and homes with extra suites offer more space than traditional single-family homes. This can be a great advantage for families with multiple generations living together or for homeowners who need additional space for guests.
- Privacy: Multi-generational homes and homes with extra suites typically offer more privacy than traditional single-family homes. This is because each generation or family member has their own separate living space.
- Affordability: Multi-generational homes and homes with extra suites can be more affordable than traditional single-family homes, especially if the cost of living is shared among multiple generations or families.
Which type of home is right for you?
When choosing the type of new construction home you want to live in, it is important to consider your needs and budget. Single-family homes offer the most privacy and space, but they can be more expensive. Townhomes are a good option for people who want the privacy of a single-family home but don’t need as much space or don’t want to be responsible for all of the maintenance. Multi-generational homes and homes with extra suites are a good option for families with multiple generations living together or for homeowners who need additional space for guests.
Additional things to consider when choosing a new home in Houston:
- Location: Where do you want to live? Do you want to be close to work, school, or shopping? Do you want to live in a city neighborhood or a suburban area?
- Size: How much space do you need? How many bedrooms and bathrooms do you need?
- Price: How much can you afford to spend on a new home?
- Amenities: What amenities are important to you? Do you want a pool, a yard, or a garage?
Once you have considered all of these factors, you can start narrowing down your choices and find the perfect new home for you and your family.
Step 3: Choose Which Type of Community is Right for You
Houston is home to a wide variety of new construction home communities, each with its own unique appeal. Whether you’re looking for a family-friendly neighborhood with a pool and playground, a quiet oasis in the desert, or a waterfront community with stunning views, you’re sure to find the perfect new construction home community in Houston.
Types of Houston New Construction Home Communities
Family-friendly neighborhoods: These neighborhoods typically have amenities that appeal to families, such as pools, playgrounds, and walking trails. They are often located in close proximity to schools and other family-friendly activities.
Quiet communities: These communities are typically located in more rural areas and offer a more peaceful and relaxed lifestyle. They may have fewer amenities than family-friendly neighborhoods, but they often offer more privacy and space.
Master-planned communities: Master-planned communities are typically designed with a specific theme in mind, such as a Mediterranean village or a Tuscan villa. They often have a variety of architectural styles to choose from, as well as a wide range of amenities, such as parks, pools, clubhouses, and shopping centers. Master-planned communities are a good option for people who want to live in a community with a lot to offer, but they can also be more expensive than other types of communities.
Golf communities: Golf communities are designed for people who love to golf. They typically have a private golf course, as well as other amenities, such as clubhouses, pools, and tennis courts. Golf communities can be a great option for people who want to live in a community where they can enjoy golfing without having to travel far. However, they can also be more expensive than other types of communities.
Waterfront communities: Waterfront communities in are located on lakes, rivers, or the ocean. They offer residents the opportunity to enjoy water sports and activities, such as swimming, boating, and fishing. Waterfront communities can be a great option for people who love the water and who want to live in a community with a relaxed atmosphere. However, they can also be more expensive than other types of communities.
Mountain communities: Mountain communities are located in the mountains. They offer residents the opportunity to enjoy outdoor activities, such as hiking, biking, and skiing. Mountain communities can be a great option for people who love the outdoors and who want to live in a community with a more natural setting. However, they can also be more remote than other types of communities.
Gated Community: Gated communities are another option to consider and are exactly what they sound like: any collection of homes which limits access to non-residents through a physical barrier like a gate, wall, or fence. Common benefits include a sense of security, quieter neighborhoods, and reduced through-traffic that makes it safer for kids to play and neighbors to chat. On the other hand, some find gated communities a bit too insular for their liking and prefer visitors to be able to drop by more easily.
Active 55+ Community: Designed for people who are 55 years of age and older, These resort-style communities offer lovely homes with minimal maintenance and a variety of activities. They offer a variety of activities and amenities, such as social clubs, fitness centers, and transportation services.
For example, Active lifestyle communities at K. Hovnanian Homes are designed for 55-year-old and older adults who are ready to enjoy their golden years to the fullest. Whether you’re challenging friends to a match on the sports court, taking a dip in the community pool, exploring the dog park with your canine friend, or enjoying a good meal in the barbecue pavilion, you’ll never run out of things to do in your next, exciting chapter.
HOA or No HOA
An HOA, or Homeowners Association, is a bit like a mini-government for common-interest communities and neighborhoods.
Like anything else, HOAs have their pluses and minuses. While some homeowners might chafe at regulations on things like exterior decorating, others enjoy the high levels of maintenance that HOA communities often have – as well as amenities, neighborhood events, high property values, conflict resolution, and an overall sense of community.
Step 4: Consider Whether to Build Your New Home or Move In Now
New construction homes all offer some common advantages, like adherence to new building codes, the latest technology, high energy efficiency standards, and more.
But there are also key differences between a few common options.
To-be-built homes are new homes that have yet to be built or constructed. It all starts with just a plot of land in a community.
Opting for a to-be-built home gives you the option to watch your dream home be built from the ground up.
This allows you to choose your home design and homesite and gives you more freedom to decide structural and non-structural options in advance – like adding an extended patio, switching out a loft for an extra bedroom, or upgrading your flooring.
While the process is longer and involves more decisions, it’s a great choice for anyone who wants their new home just as they envisioned it.
Move-in Ready Homes
If you love the idea of moving in with nothing but your suitcase, consider a move-in ready home.
Move-in Ready Homes are completely built and curated by our interior design team – these homes come equipped with beautiful finishes and modern layouts, so that you won’t need to spend time choosing which tiles go with which cabinets.
If you’ve ever toured a model home and wished that you could move in on the spot, a move-in ready home may be a great option.
Spec or Quick Move-In Homes
A happy medium between the two options above would be a new home that’s already been built but still has room for decisions on certain upgrades and options, so that you have more opportunity to fit your home to your needs and personal style.
If you like the idea of a blank canvas, but don’t like the idea of waiting for a new construction home to be built from scratch, consider these brand-new homes that are waiting for you to come and make them your own.
Step 5: Finding the Right Houston Home Builder
We might be biased, but we think K. Hovnanian Homes is a great choice if you’re looking for a new home builder in Houston.
That said, there are lots of options, and it can be hard to know where to start and which to choose. Here are some steps to go through:
Schedule an Appointment or Tour a Model Home – A home builder’s website is a good place to start your search, but it can only tell you so much. If you find a Houston home builder you’re interested in, making an appointment with a Sales Consultant, touring a model home, or both – is an excellent way to get a feel for the team you’d be working with and the home you could be living in.
Discuss Exterior & Interior Design Options — Whatever type of home you’re interested in, exterior and interior design options are an important factor to consider. It’s crucial to know what kind of flexibility and choices a builder might offer, and what you can expect in terms of cabinetry, flooring, tiles, exterior elevation, and more.
At K. Hovnanian Homes, we’re proud to offer our innovative “Looks” interior design collections (available at select communities), making great design easy, user-friendly, and transparent. In a simple, streamlined process, we walk you through cohesive aesthetic design styles, such as Farmhouse and Loft style, while leaving plenty of options to personalize your home.
Check Home Builder Incentives, Lending Options & Special Offers – It’s always smart to check what a home builder can offer in terms of financing, promotions, and discounts. Some Houston home builders may be willing to offer incentives to help make your dream of homeownership a reality.
Step 6: Prepare Your Finances and Finalize Your Mortgage
Buying a new home is a big financial decision, so it’s important to be prepared and unless you’re buying your home outright, your mortgage is obviously a crucial part of the process.
Here are some tips on how to prepare your finances and finalize your mortgage:
- Get pre-approved for a mortgage. This will give you an idea of how much you can afford to borrow and will make your offer more attractive to sellers.
- Save for a down payment. The larger your down payment, the lower your monthly payments will be.
- Check your credit score. Your credit score will affect the interest rate you’re offered on your mortgage.
- Shop around for a mortgage lender. Compare interest rates and fees from different lenders before you choose one and check for any special offers from your home builder.
Read the closing disclosure carefully. This document will outline all of the terms of your mortgage, so it’s important to understand what you’re signing.
Once you’ve found a lender and agreed on the terms of your mortgage, it’s time to finalize the process.
Here are a few additional things to keep in mind:
- Closing costs. In addition to the monthly mortgage payment, you’ll also have to pay closing costs. These costs can vary, but they typically range from 2% to 5% of the purchase price of the home.
- Escrow account. An escrow account is a separate account that holds money for your property taxes and homeowners insurance. The lender will collect money from you each month and deposit it into the escrow account.
- Title insurance. Title insurance protects you in case there are any problems with the title to the property.
While the process may seem overwhelming at first, when buying a K. Hovnanian home, we offer multiple free resources to avoid common stumbling blocks and help you sail through the process. Our in-house mortgage company, K. Hovnanian® American Mortgage, L.L.C.™(KHAM), also offers a variety of loan programs to work with your budget and needs. Reach out to a KHAM representative today to learn more.
Step 7: Get Ready for Your New Home in Houston
After you’ve gotten through our first six steps, all that’s left is – well, it’s a lot.
The full moving process – from decluttering, packing, planning, furniture, and design choices to your actual move-in day – is undeniably complex.
Getting ready to move into a new home can be an exciting and stressful time. There are a lot of things to do to get ready, but by starting early and planning ahead, you can make the process go smoothly.
Here are some tips on getting ready to move into your new construction home:
- Start packing early. This will give you time to pack your belongings carefully and avoid last-minute stress.
- Create a moving checklist. This will help you keep track of everything that needs to be done before, during, and after the move.
- Set up utilities and connectivity. Make sure that your electricity, gas, water, internet, and phone service are all set up and ready to go on your move-in date.
- Take safety precautions for children and pets. Make sure that your new home is safe for your children and pets, and that they have a safe place to play and explore.
- Unpack your belongings slowly and carefully. Take your time and enjoy the process of getting settled into your new home.
Here are some additional tips:
- Label your boxes clearly. This will make it easy to find what you need when you’re unpacking.
- Pack a “first night” box. This should include everything you need for your first night in your new home, such as toiletries, food, bedding, and a change of clothes.
- Don’t forget the small stuff. Don’t forget to pack things like light bulbs, batteries, cleaning supplies, and other essentials.
- Ask for help. If you have friends or family who are willing to help you move, don’t be afraid to ask for their assistance.
Moving into a new construction home in Houston can be a lot of work, but it’s also an exciting time. By following these tips, you can make the process go smoothly and enjoy your new home in no time.
So, are you ready to start your new life in Houston? Visit K. Hovnanian Homes and browse our selection of new construction homes in Houston today and find the perfect home for you. With a wide variety of styles and floor plans to choose from, we’re sure you’ll find the perfect home for your needs and budget. And with our convenient location and amenities, you’ll be able to enjoy all that Houston has to offer.
K. Hovnanian American Mortgage, L.L.C. 3601 Quantum Boulevard, Boynton Beach, FL 33426. NMLS #3259 (www.nmlsconsumeraccess.org). Mortgage Banker Registration issued by Texas Department of Savings and Mortgage Lending. Equal Housing Opportunity.
Last Updated on December 19, 2023